Seal Your Juvenile Sex Offense

Submitted by on Wednesday, January 18, 2012, 12:36 am

Seal Your Juvenile Sex Offense

Did you know? You can now Seal Your Juvenile Sex Offense. For years, sex offenses could not be sealed like other juvenile convictions could be. But now its possible.


For years, sex offenses could not be sealed like other juvenile convictions could be. If you have been trying to get by with a sex offense on your record, you know how many obstacles this presents. A new law allows you to seal these convictions under certain circumstances, allowing you to move on with your life.

In order to seal a juvenile sex offense, you must have lived at least five consecutive years in the community without being charged with a new crime for which you were subsequently convicted (2 years for Class B and C felonies, however most sex offenses are Class A felonies). There must be no criminal charges or diversion agreements pending against you. You must have paid all restitution due on your case.

You will need to make sure that you are no longer required to register as a sex offender before bringing the motion to seal. A separate motion can be brought to terminate your registration requirement if you have not already done so. You will have to show that you are sufficiently rehabilitated to be removed from the registry. There are also time requirements, depending on your age at the time of the offense and the offense of which you were convicted.

You may not seal a juvenile sex offense if you were convicted of Rape in the First Degree, Rape in the Second Degree, or Indecent Liberties with Forcible Compulsion.

Once your record is sealed, it will be treated as if it never occurred, and you may reply accordingly to any inquiry about the incident. This can be a huge relief if you are applying for a rental property, or looking for a job, or applying to school. You should consult with an attorney if you think you may be eligible for relief from registration and/or getting your record sealed.